Driving Safety Course (DSC)
If you are interested in taking a Driving Safety Course (DSC) to have your citation dismissed, you must meet the following requirements:
- Cannot be speeding 25 miles per hour or more over the posted speed limit
- Have a valid Texas driver’s license or be active duty military personnel including spouses and dependent children
- Have insurance or other evidence of financial responsibility
- Have not taken DSC within the past year to have a citation dismissed
- The violation was not committed in a construction zone when workers were present
Requesting a Driving Safety Course
If you meet the above criteria, you may request a driving safety course on or before your appearance date on your citation. Any request after your appearance date must be approved by the judge.
When you make your request, you must provide the court the following five items:
- A copy of your proof of financial responsibility (or insurance)
- A copy of your valid drivers license or permit
- A written plea of either guilty or no contest
- A written statement indicating your request to take a driving safety course
- Payment of court costs in addition to administrative fee
- Payment options include cash, check, money order, Visa, MasterCard, and Discover Card. You must pay in person
- If you mail in your request, only a check or money order will be accepted
You will have 90 days in which to complete the course and obtain a certified copy of your driving record from DPS. Upon successful completion and return of your documents to the court, your citation will be dismissed. Both documents, the course completion certificate and the certified copy of your driving record, must be returned to the court on or before 90 days to have your citation dismissed.
Cost for Driver Safety Course
In order take the driver safety course, you will have to pay a fee of $144.00. If the infraction happened inside an active school zone there will be an extra $25 fee for a total of $169.00. Please contact the court to verify the amount and any other information.